Aurelio Rodriguez Lopez
- Born in Génave, Spain (1958)
- Lives and works in Estepona, Andalusia, Spain.
- 2017 First Prize Prix de Pastel Award in the IAPS 31st Juried Exhibition, USA
- 2016 Chairman´s Choice Award ARC Salon, USA
- 2015 Shanghai International Pastel Exhibition, Shanghai Hongqiao Contemporary Art Museum China.
- 2013 Honorable Mention at Pastel 100 Competition, The Pastel Journal, USA.
- 2012 BP International Portrait Awards, National Portrait Gallery, London, UK.
Aurelio tells the small stories that we all connect with, such as lovers parting at a train station, the smell of his mother’s home cooking, or two children gazing at a fresh loaf of bread (which won first prize at the First International Biennial of Pastel, Spain in 2011)
While trained in many mediums, including oil, lithography, etching and aquatint Aurelio’s medium of choice is pastel painting on surfaces that he prepares with a special primer.
Aurelio frequently travels internationally to teach his skills or to create commissioned works on site, including for the royal courts of Morocco, Saudi Arabia and Jordan.
Aurelio has created more than 6000 portraits across a distinguished career spanning four decades, while also producing a great number of still lifes, nudes and landscapes, mainly in pastel and oil on canvas and board.
Noted for his rare mastery of technique, light, color and detail, his style has been characterized as heightened realism, hyperrealism, and surrealism. Aurelio uses the term ‘magic realism’ for some of his work.
Special commissions have included the daughters of Formula 1 boss Bernie Ecclestone, and members of the rock band Def Leppard. His work is held in private and public collections across more than fifty countries, among these are the Pastel Museum of Suzhou in China, the Pastel Museum of St. Aulaye, France and the Spanish Museum of Modern Art (MEAM) in Barcelona.
After receiving the offer from the Ibex Collection to paint his personal Masterpiece, Aurelio is once more connecting with his original passion and vision as an artist.